Enroute to Tokyo aboard the Shinkansen.

Sai Ai by KOH+, heard it so many times while shopping etc. I just gave in and started liking it.

Monday, March 2, 2009

"That's Mr. Mayonnaise Kewpie" Week 19 Jan 11-18th


Sunday had me heading into Nagoya to meet Akiko and then on to the Elephant’s Nest Bar in Fushimi where my Japanese friend, Yoshi works as a bartender.  Once we arrived we had some fish and chips as well as some Guinness, watched some Premiership Soccer (unfortunately I did not have the staying power to stay up to watch the Manchester United/Chelsea matchup the bar was staying open late for that began at 3AM) before heading home for the night.

     On Monday Akiko and I spent the day in Gifu checking out KinkaSan as the large mountain in the town is known.  This was my fourth trip to Gifu and the town is quickly becoming one of my favorite places in Japan.  The town’s natural beauty and close proximity to Nagoya make it a good place for a quick and cheap day trip.  After reaching the mountain via the cable car we spent about an hour taking in the view as well as walking up to take some photos near the castle that sits atop the mountain.  Although we were too late to enter the castle it was a nice day and we got to see some snow on the top of the mountain (never though I would seek out snow).  The rest of the week was quiet in fact I am noticing that the blog is sounding less and less interesting each and every week.  All I can explain is as I get more acclimated to me new home there is less that is really as interesting as it once was.  I actually find myself seeking out strange things just so I will have some new things to right about.  As I said to a friend recently you can only write I went to work, ate dinner, watched TV and then went to bed without making it sound rather boring.  After stopping in to the Backbeat on Friday I took up my friend Dean on a proposed trip to what is known as a “hostess club”.  I do not think I have wrote of these before but these clubs which are rather prevalent in my town especially are basically bars that cater to mainly businessmen and feature sexily dressed woman who serve you drinks and sit and chat with you as you drink.  Although from the outside they appear to be gaudy strip clubs there is no nudity just drinking and the chance to speak to random woman.  Actually once you are here the whole things makes perfect sense.  Since Japanese men are quiet and polite they appear to like these places where woman are essentially paid to be overly friendly while serving drinks to you (it is kind of like a Japanese Hooters).  Also interesting is that there seems to be no shame in going to these places in fact they are the most popular bar scene in my small town on Fridays and Saturdays (I happen to live next door to one of these places).  The best thing is the names of these places since they have very suggestive names and placards outside along with flashing lights, anything to attract young guys to enter (my favorite name is Sweet Cheetah near the train station).  Since I had never been to one of these places Dean agreed to take me to a local place so I could see what it was all about.  And as I said before I figured at the very least it would make for some good blog material.  These clubs feature pricing where you pay for “a set” in where you pay anywhere from 30-50 dollars an hour but it is unlimited “all you can drink” for the time you are there.  Sadly the club we attempted to go to was full so Dean agreed to take me again soon.

Amendment to my Name  As I said before I was given the name Kewpie by several children at school.  That name has been changed now to Mayonnaise Kewpie as Japan’s most popular mayonnaise brand is called. 

I have led with a picture to see if the name is fitting.

No comments: